Wednesday, March 16, 2011
Yoga Mat Strap Carrier Tutuorial
This design can be modified for differend yoga mats. Since the buckles are adjustable, they fit many sizes and thicknesses of mats.
You could also just use plain old canvas or nylon strap material, but it just wouldn't be as darn cute.
-Main fabric 8" of 44" wide fabric
- 2 Center Release Buckles for 1" strap
For optional accent lotus/talisman
-small scrap of talisman fabric(I used a lotus)
-small piece of felt
1. Cut two 4" strips of fabric of your main color.
2. Take your strips and fold in half. Press. Open up.
3. Fold the edges of the stips into the center crease, use center crease to fold again. Press.
4. Set one strip aside
5. Cut one strip in half. Open up ends and fold under. Press ends.
6. Sew these two straps with 1/8" seam allowance on all sides. I start seams on the open side.
7. Thread female side of buckle
8. Overlap by about 1" and then sew a rectangle to secure.
9. Repeat with second strap and female side of buckle
10. Thread male side of buckle and repeat with other strap
11. Position both straps on your coiled yoga mat.
12. Get out the strap you set aside. Fold one end under and press.
13. Figure our how long you would like your shoulder strap. I cut mine at 26". I alloted 1/2" on each side for folding under.
14. Press ends and sew 1/8" around all edges.
15. Take one of the buckled straps and measure 6" from the secured (female) side of one of the buckles. Pin shoulder strap in place
16. Pin other side in same manner being careful not to twist.
17. Sew square or rectangle to secure shoulder strap onto buckled straps. If you want to be fancy, you can sew X's in the middle of the square.
1. Cut two identical shapes from your talisman fabric
2. Sandwich the shapes on opposite sides of a piece of felt. I held mine up to the light to see if I had them lined up. Cut the felt a little bigger than the talisman
3. Secure talisman felt sandwich using zigzag stitch. I went around the lotus a few times to make sure I got all three parts of the sandwich and because I thought it looked cool.
4. Sew a button hole on top. Carefully open up button hole with seam ripper
5. Cut piece of ribbon and tie it to the shoulder strap.