Sunday, August 24, 2008

Don't reread directions. Causes unnecessary tinking.

[side]Note to self: don't get cocky about your math skills. Get a calculator because 18/4 does not equal 5.

It is always a good idea to read directions before you start something. (Just ask my husband how many times I have told him that, and then said, "I told you so." - They never listen.)
Well, I was so excited to cast on for Wisteria, I just did it. I knit a few rows like an addict and then went to bed. As I was laying there waiting to fall asleep, I thought to myself, "Gee, it is pretty late, I probably should have reread the directions to make sure I did it right." I fought the urge to go downstairs and pick up the knitting and fell asleep. First thing I did when I got up was to reread the directions. Oops. I made a mistake, I should have repeated row one 12 times. Rip, cast on, repeat. I thought, "Hmm, this doesn't look like the picture, it is not so turtlenecky..." Knit knit knit like an addict for just "one more row" of chart.
I finished the yoke yesterday and decided to endulge in the joys of top-down knitting and tried on the sweater. Neck - too tall and turtlenecky. Yoke - great.
Reread directions, notice that 12 repeats of a chart were supposed to be for the round, not row.
Decide to rip out neck with great difficulty to the tune of 2 hours and cause husband to get mad at me because I wouldn't go out to dinner with him.
I now have the stitches on a needle and will work one row bottom up and bind off in rib. I just can't even look at Wisteria right now.

AHHH. I feel better. thank you for listening to a rant that I know only knitters would understand.

Oh, got Knitter's Book of Yarn by Clara Parkes from library - I think I will do that instead.

No comments: